torsdag den 1. juli 2010

Sharing a waterpipe and check point experiences

(Photo: Waiting in line at a check point)

I spent most of my first day in Ramallah resting, grocery shopping and trying to get settled. In the evening, I went out to a cafe with Dennis, who is also staying here for a short while. We met his friends in the cosy back yard of a cafe in downtown Ramallah. To the familiar bubbling sound of waterpipes and with the tobacco's sweet smell in my nose, I listened to their conversation, silently trying to truly understand that I am now here.
One of the girls told us that she has recently been stopped in a check point where her car was pulled apart into pieces and examinated. When she left the check point two hours later, the car was leaking oil.


Just before midnight we were all ready to ge home. I hadn't had a proper sleep for more than 24 hours and I couldn't wait to find my bed. When we came home, we realized that a wedding was being held in the lower part of our building. The festive music was playing, party lights were on and children were playing in the street. It was great – and it didn't stop me from sleeping heavily. However, today I went to the local drug store to get ear plugs – just in case of more wedding party or other unforeseen, noisy, wonderful events.

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar